In first grade, students are graded using standards based assessment.
Students are not assigned a letter grade.
Students are given a number that corresponds to an academic quality.
The goal is for every student to meet standard.
Standard numbers are not the equivalent of a letter grade.
Listed below are the standard number and a description.
Students learning expectations (SLEs) refer to behavior, work habits and attitude. They will be listed on the front of the report card.
4- Exceeding Expectations- The student consistently and independently exceeds expectation.
3- Meeting Expectations- The student frequently meets expectations with minimal assistance.
2.5- Beginning to Meet Expectations- The student is beginning to meet expectations with minimal assistance.
2- Working toward Expectations- The student occasionally meets expectation and requires moderate assistance and redirection.
1-Below Expectations- The student rarely meets expectations and requires considerable assistance and redirection.
Academic expectations refer to work in specific subject areas. They will be listed inside the report card. These marks will also be used on many classroom assignments and projects.
4- Exceeding Standard
- Exceeds expectation for age or grade level
- Exhibits exceptional quality work
- Consistently shows high level of knowledge and understanding
- Applies learning to other subject areas and life situations
3- Meeting Standard
- Meets expectation for age or grade level
- Meets requirement for quality work
- Shows knowledge and understanding
- Applies learning to other subject areas
2.5- Beginning to Meet Standard
- Meets grade level expectations with minimal help, but is inconsistent
- Meets grade level expectations but needs moderate assistance and redirection at the time the grade is given
- Beginning to demonstrate knowledge and understanding
2- Working Toward Standard
- Meets some expectation for age or grade level
- Meets some requirement for quality work
- Demonstrates some knowledge and understanding
- Requires extra time, instruction, assistance and practice
1- Below Standard
- Not yet meeting expectation for age or grade level
- Seldom meets requirement for quality work
- Needs more exposure to develop knowledge and understanding
- Requires an extended amount of time, instruction, assistance and practice