At Assumption Catholic School, we believe that through the study of music:
- Students should experience the power of sung prayer and the joy of expressing their faith through music.
- Students should be given opportunities to create, perform and respond to music of various types in a variety of ways.
- Students should be prepared for a lifetime of active, satisfying involvement with music in a variety of forms.
- Students should have opportunities to read, interpret and perform a wide range of music literature, including music created by others and their own works.
- Students should be able to respond with understanding to others’ musical works and others’ performance.
- Students should be empowered to create, refine and notate their own original music.
National Music Standards:
- Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
- Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
- Improvising melodies, variations and accompaniments.
- Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
- Reading and notating music.
- Listening to, analyzing and describing music.
- Evaluating music and musical performances.
- Understanding relationships between music, the other arts and disciplines outside the arts.
- Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
Please bless our music
That it might glorify your name.
May using it to serve you,
Always be our aim.
Let it be a witness
To your majesty and love,
And remind us that you’re watching
From your throne above.
May others see your beauty,
In every note they hear,
And when they hear our music
May they feel your presence near.
Lord, we ask for guidance
In everything we do.
And pray you’ll make our music
An instrument for you.