Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year! The 6th grade science course is designed to give all students an overview of common strands in earth science including, but not limited to; rocks, minerals, geologic time, plate tectonics, volcanoes, earthquakes, space, and the solar system.
The textbooks we will be using is:
GLENCOE Earth and Space Science vol. 1
You will need to come to class everyday with the following materials:
- A pencil, a pen and a red pen.
- A folder for handouts and returned homework.
- Loose paper
- Your completed homework assignment.
- Science lab journal.
- A positive and supportive attitude!
Next Generation Science Standards:
This school offers a comprehensive, standards-based program of study. Particular emphasis will be placed on the following overarching standards. For a more detailed description of each content standard and the corresponding sub-standards please visit http://www.nextgenscience.org/
6th Grade Science Concepts Covered in this Course
Homework is assigned regularly. Homework is due at the beginning of class on the day after the assignment is given. Missed homework can be turned in; however, students will not receive a full grade. Any work that is greater than two weeks late will not be accepted.
- Work is completed on time. No folds, wrinkles, doodles, frayed edges, etc., and should look professional.
- Homework questions are written, diagrams are drawn, and all work is shown.
- All work is in pencil.
- Follow all directions. Failure to follow directions will result in loss of credit.
- Ask questions!
- Engage and work hard in class.
- Utilize resources and time efficiently and properly.
Every day is important! Your success in this course is directly related to how often you are present. If you are absent, it is your responsibility to get the work and notes that you missed. If you are at school during any portion of the day, your homework for that day will be due and any scheduled quizzes or tests must be taken. It is your responsibility to come see me if you arrive late to school or leave early and miss my class period.
If you miss the class the day before a test and return the day of the test, you will be expected to take the test as scheduled. If you have missed two or more days before a test and return the day of the test, come see me and we can make arrangements for you to take the test at a later date.
Students earn their science grades by actively participating in class and completing class work, lab journals, homework, quizzes, projects, tests and semester exams.
20% Lab Work/Science Journal
20% Class Participation
Tests and Quizzes:
Students will be notified in advance of quizzes and tests. All graded tests and quizzes below passing will be sent home, reviewed by parents and signed before being returned to school. All tests and quizzes are to remain in students’ classroom portfolios, but can be reviewed by students at any time.
Missed Work/Make-up Policy:
It is the student’s responsibility to ask for make-up work when he/she has been absent from class. Students will receive the same amount of time absent to make-up work…for example; if they are absent 3 days, they will receive 3 days to turn in missed work.
Any quiz or test can be retaken one time provided the following conditions are met:
- The retake must be scheduled immediately and completed within one week of the original test date.
- When about to take a retake, your test or quiz must include a parent signature.
- Any missing assignments specifically relevant to the tested material must be completed before the retake is done.
Survival suit try-on–fisheries unit