Concepts Covered This Week:
- We listened to the Gospel story where we learned we belong to God’s family.
- We identified many items in a Catholic Church.
- We learned that when we gather in Jesus’ name, he is with us.
- We identified our parish churches.
- We participated in the weekly school Mass
- We identified parts of a nonfiction book.
- We read, then illustrated a poem about friends.
- We wrote and illustrated words in the -et and –en word families.
- We continued to listen to shared stories from a book about families. We then wrote what the stories made us think about.
- We practiced the correct formation of the letters a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,I,j,I,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t and x and reviewed the sounds that these letters make.
- We used number bonds to show the parts and whole for a given number.
- We used cubes, pictures, number bonds and numbers to show different ways to make a given number (5 is 2 and 3, 1and 4, 0 and 5).
- We completed a calendar and weather graph for the month of September.
- We counted to 22 with coins by using two dimes and two pennies.
- We completed a first-grade math inventory test.
- We learned that self-talk means talking to yourself in a quiet voice or inside your head.
- We practiced using self-talk to help us focus and ignore distractions.
- We learned how the author/illustrator, Yuyi Morales, comes up with ideas for books. She also showed us how she turns an idea into a story.
Specialist Classes- Physical Education/Art/Music/Spanish/Library:
- In art we draw the outline of a snake, then add lines with crayons and paint to the body with watercolors. We practiced using vocabulary words to describe these lines: straight, hills, dots, zigzag, dashes, clouds, castle, loops and waves. We also finished painting our fall landscapes with watercolors.
- In music we explored tone color (timbre) with the book, My Many Colored Days. We learned to convey mood using musical instruments.
- In physical education we practiced a variety of movements, pathways, and levels with juggling scarves.
- In Spanish we practiced greetings and counting to 20. We listened to the story, The Three Bears and learned the names of the characters in Spanish.
- At the library, we listened to a story and checked out 2 books of personal interest.