Mrs. McClurg’s First Grade
This week, we worked on daily routines. We practiced following directions and lining up. We are discovering ways to be active listeners and show that we are ready to learn. We had a busy week and are ready for a relaxing weekend.
Concepts Covered This Week
- We participated in School Mass.
- We learned that the Catholic Church is a community of believers that love and care for each other.
- We practiced some of the first grade and kindergarten prayers.
- We listened to the Gospel story where Jesus says, “I am the Good Shepherd.” We made sheep to add to Jesus’ flock.
- We practiced reading sight words.
- We wrote and illustrated words in the -an and –at word families.
- We identified the topic and characters in several poems and stories.
- We practiced the correct formation of the letters a,c, f,l,m,n,o,p,s and t.
- We reviewed many consonant sounds.
- We wrote a journal entry using action words.
- We reviewed numbers 0 to 12.
- We identified and practiced using the math vocabulary words; greater than, more than, less than, fewer than and equal to.
- We used pictures and symbols to illustrate numbers 0-12.
- We looked at number patterns.
- We discussed class rules and why they are important.
- We looked at pictures and discussed some of our feelings.
- We practiced ways to listen and focus attention so we can be successful learners.
Specialist Classes- Physical Education/Art/Music/Spanish/Library:
- In art we listened to the story, The Dot, by Peter Reynolds. We created dots using the elements of art and two colors from the color wheel.
- In music we moved to music and learned the Danish Greeting Dance, explored tempo with a song called The Grand Old Duke of York, and played a variety of rhythms with rhythm sticks.
- In physical education we worked on learning and practicing the PE and recess rules. Last week in PE we played some recess games that require teamwork. This week we did more work with working in teams to complete a noodle challenge and we talked about cooperation.
- In Spanish we learned how to greet our teacher and our classmates. We learned to follow some simple directions and drew pictures of things we like to do.
- At the library, we listened to a story and checked out 2 books of personal interest.