Concepts covered this week
- We listened to and discussed the Gospel where we follow Jesus’ message to place our faith and trust in God.
- We completed a booklet about Mass.
- We practiced responding to Father’s blessing with the words “And with your Spirit.”
- We made a list of items that we saw on our church tour. We labelled and illustrated three items found in our parishes.
- We reviewed letter sounds and correct letter formation of all consonants.
- We practiced reading many sight words in phonic reading stories and poems.
- We identified words in the –ot, and -op word families.
- We wrote a journal entry about what we like to do with a friend.
- We identified and illustrated actions that we like and do not like to do.
- We reviewed the terms more, less, greater and fewer by using blocks, pictures and numbers to show one more or one less of a given number.
- We completed a first grade math assessment. We learned that sometimes you have to make a best guess if you do not know an answer.
- We discussed a class problem and came up with a list of possible solutions. We then illustrated our feelings and how we could use one of the solutions.
- We revisited our solution list to see which strategies were working.
- We began to look at communities and laws.
Physical Education/Music/Art/Spanish/ Computer Lab
- In Physical Education, we enhanced personal development of visual concentration on moving objects by using bean bags and balls.
- In Music we were introduced to the musical scale and explored melodic direction with the song Jack and Jill.
- In Spanish, we learned directions with songs, such as up, down, left, right. We also learned communication in the classroom so we can follow basic instructions in Spanish.
- In Art, we work on our art portfolios. We did not have art with Ms. Gottschalk this week.
- Mrs. Cornwell played her guitar for us and taught us a fun song about a sheep.
- We will visit the school garden on Tuesday, October 1st.
- We will read the sight words: one, two, three, we, get, what
- We will spell the words: not, to, do, at, like
Concepts Covered this Week:
- We listened to the Gospel story of the lost sheep and drew illustrations of our interpretations of the reading.
- We discussed the difference between church and Mass.
- We took a tour of Assumption Catholic Church and observed objects in the church.
- We recorded and illustrated items we saw on our church tour.
- We reviewed letter sounds and correct letter formation of most consonants.
- We practiced reading and writing our spelling words.
- We practiced reading our sight words in stories.
- We read words and made pictures of words in the –ig and –it word families.
- We read and illustrated the poem Monday, Run Day by Nick Sharratt
- We made pictographs to help us count and compare objects.
- We used numbers to answer math questions that featured the words greater, fewer, more and less.
- We solved real world math problems.
- We completed a math assessment of numbers 0-10. (number sense to 10)
- We identified people within the school community that help to keep us safe and follow the directions.
- We discussed ways to solve some problems that may take place on the playground or in the restrooms.
- We listened to the story, Rain School, and discussed similarities and differences of first graders in Chad and at Assumption Catholic School.
- In Art we, listened to a read aloud of In My Heart by Jo Witek and created a heart work based on the colors and feelings of the heart.
- In Music we practiced following a steady beat in a song, using a high/low pitched voice in the poem Grandma’s Glasses, and vowels in the song Apples and Bananas.
- In Physical Education we continued to work on personal space through a jump rope series and cooperation around the parachute.
- In Spanish we practiced the words for up and down with pictures, words and movement activities. We also reviewed colors, numbers and phrases that help us to follow directions.
- We will have our first visit to the school library on Wednesday, September 25. This is also the first hot lunch at 11:30 AM in the Gym.
- We will read new sight words: not, you, do, that, to like.
- Our Spelling words for next week: it, in, is, big, can. Bonus Word- little
- We listened to the bible story where Jesus tells us “I am the Good Shepherd”.
- We defined a church community.
- We gave examples of how church members show love to each other.
- We participated in an All School Mass.
- We practiced reading sight words.
- We practiced the correct formation of the letters: b,c,f,h,k,l,m,n,p,r and t.
- We worked with –at, -an and -ap word families.
- We practiced buddy reading with an assigned partner.
- We wrote a sentence or two in our journals using the new sight words.
- We reviewed math vocabulary words: more, greater, less, fewer before, after and between.
- We practiced matching numbers 1-10 to the correct number names.
- We reviewed ordinal numbers and practiced matching the ordinal word to a position in a picture.
- We used pictures and patterns to solve real world problems.
- We defined and illustrated the word community in our Social Studies journal.
- We identified and illustrated people in our school community that can help us stay safe and follow directions and rules.
- In our first grade classroom we made self-portraits, sheep for Jesus’ flock and learned new songs and stretches to help with class transitions.
- In Art we worked with clay, then markers and paper to create animals.
- In Music we explored tempo with the song The Grand Old Duke of York. We also labeled beat and rhythm with the song Choo Choo Train, and continued to practice classroom procedures.
- In Physical Education we practiced jump rope skills, worked with a partner to follow movement directions and participated in group parachute activities.
- In Spanish we reviewed classroom rules, reviewed how to greet and say goodbye to someone. We also practiced saying and responding to words for body position and voice control.
- We will have our first visit to the school garden on Tuesday, September 17th. We will also have individual photos
- We will have our first Early Release and casual uniform day on Wednesday, September 18th.
- We will have our first spelling test on Thursday. The 4 words tested will be: I, see, and, the.
- We will read stories with some new sight words. The new words are: is, it, in, big, have, little.
This week, we worked on daily routines. We practiced following directions and lining up. We are discovering our best listening spot on the carpet. We had a busy week and deserve a relaxing weekend.
Concepts Covered This Week
- We participated in an All School Mass.
- We practiced using our Religion textbooks.
- We practiced some of the First grade prayers.
- We listened to the Gospel story where Jesus says, “I am the Good Shepherd.”
- We practiced reading sight words.
- We practiced the correct formation of the letters f,h,k,l,r and t.
- We reviewed many consonant sounds.
- We made pictures of our favorite lunch items.
- We practice writing color words.
- We reviewed numbers 0 to 10.
- We identified and practiced using the math vocabulary greater, fewer, more and less.
- We looked at number patterns.
- We shared some problem solving techniques.
- We discussed class rules and why they are important.
- We discussed and drew pictures of some of our feelings.
- We looked at ways to be a good school citizen.
- We reviewed class rules and protocols through the games from Adventure Curriculum. This includes; stop and start signals, request to leave the class, evaluation rubric, and being responsible for equipment. Students know to inform me of physical or emotional injuries. They know where the first aid kit is located, and that it is most important in an emergency to be quiet.
- With Mrs. McClurg, we made self-portraits and practiced songs to use for class routines.
- In Art class, we brainstormed, designed, and drew Essential Agreements for art class.
- In Music class we learned classroom procedures and reviewed musical concepts. We reviewed beat, our 4 voices (speaking, whisper, calling and singing), and call and response singing.
- In Spanish Class we talked about class expectations, reviewed directions and learned a new song.