Concepts covered this week
- We listened to and discussed the Gospel story of Thomas and the Risen Lord.
- We learned that the Holy Spirit is God.
- We learned that the Holy Spirit helps us and guides our choices.
- We discussed that May is a month devoted to Mary, the Mother of God. We learned a song to honor Mary.
- We visited the residents of Saint Francis Care Center, passed out cards and flowers and spread joy.
- We practiced reading and writing long a (ai, ay, a-e) words.
- We read and discussed stories about how you would feel and what to do if you got lost.
- We completed a “How to” Book. We began to share them with our classmates.
- We began to share our own stories that were created during Writers Workshop center.
- We wrote a journal entry about what we do if there were no windows.
- We used blocks, pictures and numbers to add and subtract numbers to 50 without regrouping.
- We used the strategies of factoring, make a ten or find a double to simplify addition problems.
- We learned how light travels through or around objects by sorting items into the categories: transparent, translucent and opaque.
- We discussed and answered the question: What would life be like without transparent materials?
- May 1- May 7 is observed as National Physical Education & Sport Week. Your child has had the opportunity to learn some of many movement skills and games during Physical Education class this year!
- In Spanish, we learned about Spanish speaking countries in South America. We watched segments of the show “Where in the World is Carmen Santiago” that highlighted these countries.
- In Music, we listened to songs that we learned and analyzed them for rhythm. We explored sixteenth notes visually, aurally and physically. We added an Orff instrument accompaniment, and practiced a “mi re do” pattern on xylophones.
- No Art with Mrs. Gottschalk this week. In class we began a water color picture for a very special person.