Concepts covered this week
- We listened to and discussed the Gospel stories related to Palm Sunday and Holy Week.
- We made some symbols for Holy Week to add to our Lenten suitcases.
- We participated in a Stations of the Cross Prayer Service let by the Fourth graders and Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament in the Church.
- We participated in the Good Friday observances lead by the Sixth and Seventh graders.
- We read stories, participated in a discussion and made symbols for Good Friday.
- We practiced reading and writing long e (ee, ea, e-e) words.
- We practiced making and using compound words.
- We began to list direction in order to make a “How to” instruction book.
- We continued to turn our own stories into books during Writers Workshop center.
- We wrote a journal entry about our favorite color and how it makes us feel.
- We used blocks, pictures and numbers to add and subtract numbers to 50 without regrouping.
- We learned some interesting facts about elephants, talked about why they are endangered and came up with some ways that we can help to save them from becoming extinct.
- We practiced a World Pledge and made illustrations to go with the words. We will lead the assembly in the pledge at the New Life Mass.
- In Physical Education, we practiced catching with scoops and throwing to a partner for accuracy.
- In Spanish, we listened to a graphic novel, looked at the panels and thought about how an author has to balance their words to fit the panels. We then drew some panels of our own, then finished watching the movie we started before spring break.
- In Music, we learned to notate music that we hear aurally with a song called Cluck Old Hen. We differentiated the sounds of a quarter note and eighth notes and putting them down on paper.
- In Art, we learned about organic shapes as we studied Henri Matisse’s late work and created a work of our own in his cut paper style.