God bless America! God bless those who died in the 9/11 attacks, those who were injured, those who have suffered as a result of the recovery efforts, and all of their friends and family members.
I want to thank all of you who were able to make it to Curriculum Night. It’s hard to come to school at dinner time in the middle of the week, so if you were not able to make it, please click on the link to the 5th grade curriculum on my homepage.
Thank you for the fraction tiles!
Math: Students are working on their algebra skills with the Commutative Property, Distributive Property, Associative Property, and Identity Properties of Addition and Multiplication. Students are learning about the powers of ten: 10x10x10 is 1,000 or 10³.
Students played, “Race to 100.” It is a math game about regrouping.
Reading: Students are finishing their first literacy circle book, “Call it Courage.” We did this book as a whole class, but next week we will begin working in four groups and students will be reading their literacy books at home (not in class as we’ve been doing with “Call it Courage”). They will come to school and discuss what they’ve read every day.
Spelling: Chapter 1: long a and long e
Writing: Students are finishing their “My Gifts” paper. Final drafts are due on 9/13/19.
Religion: Beatitudes, ch. 3. Students discussed how they interpret the Beatitudes and how they live them out in their lives.
Social Studies: Students looked at different types of maps and worked in groups to learn about the Makah, Mississippian, Anasazi, and Creek peoples.
STEAM: Students threw paper airplanes to test out their hypotheses and learn about the scientific method.
- Please remember that I will be teaching a class about Touching Safety. If you would like your child to opt out of this class, please email me.
- Also, we will soon be walking to the reunification site so if there is an emergency, students will know where to go. The reunification site is The First Congregational Church, a light blue building on Cornwall, just north of the toddler park. If you’d like to walk with us to that church, email me. Mr. Blas, a Seattle firefighter and EMT, will be walking with us for safety sake. Safety his thing. 🙂
Pictures from choir class with Mr. Mabalot
Pictures from Math Olympiad with Mrs. Ernest
Pictures from orchestra
Upcoming Calendar Items:
- September 17th– Preschool – 8th grade Individual Photo Day (Free Dress)
- September 18th– Early Release Day. Casual Dress (t-shirt with logo and jeans or shorts)
- September 21th– Spaghetti Dinner… Two seatings at 5 pm and 6 pm. Childcare provided for preschool and up!
- September 23rd– Girls on the Run begins today for girls in grades 3-5
- September 25th– Hot Lunch
- October 22nd-25th– Holy Hoops 4-on-4 Basketball Tournament for all students in grades 5-8. Information will be in the Wednesday Parent News starting on September 18th.