In this week’s news, you’ll find school COVID updates, Growing Great Kids Auction news, plans to resume 3:00 dismissal, February safety volunteer needs, recognition of our students completing the December Fitness Challenge, this week’s school Mass schedule, meal needs from the Care & Concern ministry, PTC news including how to secure your very own homemade pot pie dinner, their general parent email on Jan 27th featuring an acclaimed guest speaker and upcoming calendar items. Thank you for reading!
Case counts continue to increase in Whatcom County and the current unvalidated number is 517 cases per 100,000 residents through January 17th. Although a few of our students have been tested for COVID since the long weekend, there have been no cases among them. However, one of our teachers has tested positive for COVID-19. None of our students or staff are considered close contacts with this teacher because of when her symptoms developed. An email went to the students she taught last week as an added precaution and we wanted to let all families know about exposure. Please email the office with any additional questions. We have been in contact with the Whatcom County Health Department and will update you with any changes regarding school closures if necessary.
Please keep this teacher and our entire school in your prayers. Join us in avoiding social gatherings of any size with non-household members at this time. It’s what will keep us safe and open.
Change in dismissal time
Starting on Monday, February 15th, we will return to our regular 3:00 pm dismissal time. As you’ll remember, we changed this dismissal time at the beginning of the school year to provide planning time for the teachers at the end of the school day. We will remain with the current specialist rotation every two weeks for one grade level but want to bring back those instructional minutes from 2:05 to 3 pm for the classes that have been missed.
A couple of other changes will also take effect.
- Doors to the school will open beginning at 7:55 am instead of 7:40 am. Students may be screened and line up outside starting from 7:40 am, but teachers will need that extra 15 minutes in the morning with the later dismissal time to prepare. Prayer begins at 8:15 am instead of 8:10 am, and students will be tardy starting at 8:15 am.
- Lunch will return to 11:30 am to 12:25 pm for all classes. There will no longer be an 11 am to 11:25 am lunch for the younger grades.
- Dismissal is 3:00 pm. Students will be lining up before that time in staggered groups, but please plan to arrive as close to 3:00 pm as possible to limit traffic on Virginia Street. The gates will be opened to let cars in at 3:00 pm.
Health Screener and Playground Angel Volunteers
Thanks to our dedicated morning crew, we’re in great shape for the remainder of January! Please help us fill those February slots! Check out the link for responsibilities and openings.
We are so grateful for the support Health Screeners and Playground Angels bring to our students and Duty Teachers. Please keep in mind that we count on these safety roles when you sign up, and last-minute deletions send us scrambling for help. If you must cancel a sign up, please email Jessica Sidhu at email@example.com so she can try to find a replacement volunteer.
December Fitness Challengers
Congratulations to the following students who completed the December Challenge! These students completed each day to the best of their abilities. Thank you to all the students who completed the whole challenge as well as the students who completed as many days as they were able.
Henry Remien (Pre-Kindergarten)
Di Nguyen (1st Grade)
Bennett Remien (1st Grade)
Elodie Wolf (2nd Grade)
Hy Nguyen (3rd Grade)
Graedon Wolf (3rd Grade)
Stella Wolf (5th Grade)
****Don’t forget the January challenge has started! Please use the back or bottom of the calendar to share your workout you created and for the one-minute challenge, pick three workouts to-do for a minute.
School Mass on Friday, January 22nd
6th-8th grade students should plan to wear their dress uniform this Friday for School Mass. Parents of children in participating grades are also welcome to attend/sit with them. Only students attending Mass in person need to wear dress uniforms, and regular uniforms for all other grades.
Care and Concern Ministry
There is a cooler outside the school doors on Mondays and Thursdays for the Salcido Family. Please drop your meal off by 1:30 pm so that their daughter can bring it home at pick up. To sign up for a meal, please visit the link here: https://mealtrain.com/rw14nw
Take and Bake Dinner and General PTC Meeting on Wednesday, Jan 27th!
- Be sure to get your order forms turned in by Friday, Jan. 22nd to pre-order your delicious chicken pot-pie dinner! Click here for an extra order form.
- If you are in need of volunteer hours and want to help prepare or distribute meals on Jan. 25, 26, or 27th, we need you! These are coveted fundraising hours, so sign up early: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0D4CA5AA23A1FEC25-january1
- This general PTC meeting will include a guest speaker (Patti Hoeltzle) who is a local school counselor and therapist. If you have any questions you’d like Patti to address during her presentation, please use this survey to submit your questions anonymously: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/R7Z5CCL
Timeline for Wed, January 27th:
2 pm- 3:00 PM*: Pick up your ready to heat and serve dinner (chicken pot pie with salad and brownies) from the gym. *If you need to pick up outside of that timeframe, please email Lynette Machinski at firstname.lastname@example.org
7 PM: Join us on Zoom (click here to access meeting link) for our General PTC Meeting:
Upcoming Calendar Items:
January 20th– MAP Testing for grades 2-8 through January 28th
January 27th– PTC General Meeting, 7 pm via ZOOM/Take & Baker Dinner
January 29th– Early Release @ 11:45 am (casual uniform), first semester ends
January 31st-February 6th– Catholic Schools Week
February 3rd– Jump for Heart! kick off, virtual assembly at 2:30 pm
February 12- NO SCHOOL