In this week’s newsletter, you’ll find two important ordering deadlines, a chance to show our support of those supporting us, condolences for the Beshara family, an incredible opportunity for our students to take part in writing and art workshops with our own Ms. Hicks, a reminder to send your positive news our way, PTC News including an invitation to lead, various ways to support ACS through regular purchases and upcoming calendar items. Thank you for reading!
“We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us.” Romans 12:6
Yearbook orders due April 28th Microsoft Form 2019-20 Yearbook Orders
Mother’s Day Baskets orders due April 24th Microsoft Form Mother’s Day Flower Orders
Help us thank St Joseph’s PeaceHealth Team for all they are doing to care for our COMMUNITY!
Let’s thank those in our community who are taking care of the sick during this time! Make a heart out of colored paper or whatever you may have on hand and write them a thank you note or let them know you care! You can mail it to The Rushes (3778 Toad Lake Rd Bellingham, WA 98226) or drop it in their mailbox.
Collected hearts will be taken to the hospital and distributed throughout, so the providers know that Assumption Catholic School CARES! All necessary precautions will be taken to prevent the transfer of contaminants.
YEARBOOK LAST CALL is April 28th!
Thank you to the parents who have taken the time to send pictures to Staci Johnson for this year’s yearbook. If you are still wanting to share pictures, please do so by Tuesday, April 28. Pictures can be sent to Staci via text @ 360-303-8408 or email email@example.com.
If you have not ordered your yearbook, the last day to order is Tuesday, April 28th.
We would like every student who wants a yearbook to be able to get one and understand that the cost might be a hardship for some families right now. Please fill out the form (attached) if you would like your child(ren) to have a yearbook but cannot afford one. Indicate on the form that you would like assistance and your family will receive one at no cost.
Mother’s Day flower baskets
Families are being especially careful about spending during this uncertain time. If you are able to support our 8th Grade Mother’s Day basket fundraiser, we would love to help bring you the joy and beauty of flowers!
This is the final week orders will be collected. Since school will be closed, please feel free to complete this form and mail a CHECK to the school: 2116 Cornwall Ave. Bellingham, WA 98225
Please note we’re unable to bill fundraisers via FACTS, so payment must be submitted via check.
- The gorgeous baskets are $50 each and will make any mother very happy! Each 12” basket is hand-planted and maintained ensuring higher quality and greater uniformity than most local retailers can offer
- Baskets contain calibrachoa (Million Bells) and bacopa mix designed to bloom in full sun or light shade
- Each purchase includes a $5.00 coupon for Jack’s Classic Fertilizer redeemable at Vander Giessen Nursery in Lynden
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
Condolences for the Beshara Family
As Mr. Anderson shared earlier this week, Mr. Edmond Beshara, husband and father-in-law of our beloved teachers Lorri (preschool) and Liza (music), respectively, passed away on Monday. Edmond and Lorri’s sons are both Assumption alumni and their family has served our school for many years.
Many families have asked how they can be of help. Our teachers and staff are providing some meal support for now, but anyone can make a financial contribution through Venmo. You’ll need to download the app and create an account, but you can give to her son, Cameron’s account (@Cameron-Beshara), and she’ll receive it. You can also send a check to the school made out to Lorri, along with any cards or notes of sympathy.
Thank you especially for keeping the Besharas in your thoughts and prayers.
Extension Opportunities for Families in May
If you have a child who loves writing and/or art and would like some professional guidance, please read below! This is a free opportunity for ALL students of Assumption to get feedback and experience from a professional! Space is limited to 20 students per workshop. We hope to offer other extension activities in May based on teacher interest and student experience. Look for more extension opportunities to come in the April 29th newsletter, but sign up for these now!
Barbara Jean Hicks, EDP Employee is offering two “camps” in the month of May (students may participate in both if interested):
- Professional Writer’s Workshop. GRADES 3-8. Students will email Ms. Hicks a draft of a short story, a short work of creative nonfiction, a chapter form a novel, an outline for a novel, or a series of 3-5 poems and will receive editorial comments via email, including notes abut what the Young Author is doing well and suggestions for how to make the writing more effective.
- Experience in Art. GRADES K-8. In collaboration with Sunnyland contemporary folk artist R.R. “Fishboy” Clark, Ms. Hicks will provide daily (M-F) visual writing prompts. Each prompt will consist of a unique Fishboy painting to which students may respond in writing in any way they feel inspired. Students may submit their responses each day to Ms. Hicks or when they feel inspired. One response will be chosen for each painting and shared with the Assumption School Community. Writing responses may be solely from the young author’s imagination, but special consideration will be given to writing related to the student’s quarantine experience.
If you have questions please email Bev at firstname.lastname@example.org
MS. HICKS’S BIO: An award-winning author, storyteller, speaker and educator, Barbara Jean Hicks began her professional writing career with a series of thirteen inspirational romance novels and novellas. Her eight most recently published works of fiction are picture books, including ONCE UPON A PARSNIP (Mascot Books), MONSTERS DON’T EAT BROCCOLI (Knopf), and FROZEN: A SISTER MORE LIKE ME (Disney Press).
Prior to her position at Assumption School, Ms. Hicks taught English to 6th-12th grade students through an online school based in Southern California. She has also taught at the middle school and community college levels in Oregon and California and worked in a Seattle elementary school as author-in-residence, program facilitator and parent educator. In addition, she has written marketing copy for numerous businesses and trade publishers and worked as a freelance editor and proofreader.
We still want your stories for social media and the school website!
Please send your family stories on distance learning (successes or funnies!), news on what you’ve been doing to keep your family busy while you stay at home, and photos of either! We’ll post them to our Family Stories page on the website for all to enjoy.
Check out what’s been shared so far: https://school.assumption.org/about/welcome
PTC needs YOU!
Are you interested in serving your school and being part of the Assumption PTC? We are looking for those interested in serving their Assumption community. Open positions for the 2020-2021 school year include the Vice President (2-yr commitment) and the Treasurer (2-yr commitment). Please pray and talk with your family about this service to our school. Please contact Stephanie Wolf email@example.com or Sara Rush firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have or if you are interested in these positions.
Are you scanning your receipts into Shoparoo? With the new changes to Box Tops, this is another easy way for us to recoup some of those lost box top dollars! This is an easy way for our school to earn money without having to sell anything! Please support us in this program! The money all comes back to our school and the programs we provide! Click here for more info: http://www.shoparoo.com/howitworks.html
Don’t forget to use shopwithscrip.com while you are shopping from home! You can reload those Starbucks and Safeway gift cards online. Did you know you can use your Safeway gift card at Haggen? Are you doing some home improvement projects while stuck at home right now? Print off Scrip Now! for Lowes and Home Depot! So many ways to use shopwithscrip.com! If you haven’t signed up and need help, please reach out to email@example.com and we will help you get set up.
- Other than local-only retailers, most Scrip is available 24/7 on shopwithscrip.com. Much of those offer Scrip Now!, which is available to use within minutes via your device. If you aren’t yet registered for the site and want to, please reach out for help: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’re planning another drive-thru pick up of materials on May 6th and will send a call for physical Scrip gift cards again next week to be picked up then.
- Remember that Safeway gift cards can now be redeemed at Haggen! If you have a physical Safeway card, it can also be reloaded via shopwithscrip.com.
Are you ordering toilet paper, hand sanitizer and flour from Amazon because you can’t find it in the grocery stores? Don’t forget to make sure you are using AmazonSmile and have chosen Assumption Church as your charity! By using AmazonSmile.com and choosing ASSUMPTION CHURCH when prompted, AmazonSmile will donate 0.5% of most purchases to Assumption. When you save the AmazonSmile link into your devices and always remember to shop from that link, all your purchases will make a donation to Assumption.
Upcoming Calendar Items:
Friday, April 24th– School Mass at 9 am. Fr. Moore’s live Facebook feed at https://www.facebook.com/catholicjeffreyhmoore/
April 24th– Mother’s Day flower orders due
April 28th– Yearbook orders due
May 6th– Pick-up/drop-off materials from 8 am to 10 am and again from 1 pm to 4 pm. (Remember to bring your library books and athletics uniforms if you have them!)
May 20th- Pick-up/drop-off materials from 8 am to 10 am and again from 1 pm to 4 pm
June 3rd– Pick-up/drop-off materials from 8 am to 10 am and again from 1 pm to 4 pm